University of Hawaiʻi — West Oʻahu

International Student Admission

International students, who need an F-1 visa to study in the United States or are currently living in the U.S. on any type of visa, will need to meet the admissions requirements below:

  1. Complete University of Hawai‘i System Online Application Form
  2. Official Secondary and Post-secondary School Transcripts
    • All official transcripts, examination certifications (e.g., General Certificate of Education) and other documents showing all high school and any completed post-secondary work must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. All official transcripts must be mailed directly by the institution or Ministry of Education to the Office of Admissions. Documents mailed or hand carried by you or anyone else will not be accepted as official or used for admission consideration.
    • Secondary school transcripts must include a list of courses taken and grades/internal marks received each year, class rank for the last four years of secondary school, and an explanation of the school's grading system. If transcripts with annual internal marks are unavailable directly from the school, you may photocopy your mark sheets or grade reports and have them certified by a school official who verifies that a transcript is otherwise not available.
    • Post-secondary school transcripts must include a list of courses taken, grades/marks received, number of hours spent in each class per term, explanation of the school's grading system, and your rank in class. You may also be asked to provide course descriptions and a list of text books used in each course.
    • Photocopies of external examination certificates must be certified by a school or Ministry of Education official or issued by the examining board and be sent directly to the Office of Admissions.
    • All documents must be in English or accompanied by an English translation that has been certified by a school or Ministry of Education official. 
  3. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for applicants from countries where English is not their primary language must be sent directly to UH West O‘ahu from Educational Testing Services. The minimum score for admission:
    • Paper - 550 or higher
    • Computer - 213 or higher
    • Internet - 79 or higher
    • TOEFL Exemptions
      • Applicants with an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.0 or better (academic section only)
      • Applicants with a SAT Writing score of 510 or higher
      • Applicants with an ACT English score of 22 or higher
      • Grade of C or better in English 100 or equivalent (as determined by the UHWO Office of Admissions)
  4. Complete the University of Hawai'i Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants form
  5. If you are an F-1 student you must provide a certified bank statement in U.S. dollars signed within the last 6 months attesting to financial support of $37,660 for the 2017-2018 academic year and $39,310 for the 2018-2019 academic year.


  • Fall – May 1
  • Spring – October 1

For detailed information, view the UH West O'ahu General Catalog.