Applying for Financial Aid
- The student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov.
- The applicant must be admitted to the University of Hawai‘i – West O‘ahu (UHWO) as a classified, degree-seeking student.
- The student must meet and maintain satisfactory academic progress as stipulated in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy of the UHWO Financial Aid Office.
FAFSA PRIORITY DEADLINES
- April 1st is the priority deadline for the fall semester
- October 1st is the priority deadline for the spring semester
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- UH West O‘ahu’s Federal School Code for the FAFSA is 014315.
- A PIN is required to sign the FAFSA electronically. For dependent students, a parent will also need a PIN. To apply, go to www.pin.ed.gov.
- It is strongly recommended that you complete your federal tax return as soon as possible so that you will have accurate figures with which to complete the FAFSA. Make sure to have the current IRS Federal Tax returns available (if the student, student’s spouse or parents filed) or applicable W-2 statements on hand when completing the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA now includes the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IDRT) which allows students and parents to transfer their actual federal IRS income tax information directly on to the FAFSA if certain requirements are met. This is the best way to complete the income & tax information on the FAFSA as it reduces the likelihood of errors! Please note that you will still need to have the actual federal tax form available to refer to when utilizing the IDRT.
- After submitting the FAFSA online, a confirmation will be sent via email indicating that the application has been processed and a link will be provided to view the Student Aid Report (SAR). It is highly recommended that the information indicated on the SAR is reviewed and any corrections be made to the FAFSA accordingly.
- For assistance when completing the FAFSA, contact a FAFSA representative toll-free at 1-866-433-3243 or the UHWO Financial Aid Office at (808) 689-2900.
- Additional documents may be requested by the Financial Aid Office in order to determine a financial aid award or to complete the student’s financial aid process. Most financial aid forms can be obtained online or at the Student Affairs Office.
- The student should monitor their financial aid status through MyUH.
- The student should maintain a personal financial aid file by retaining copies of any financial aid award letters, federal tax returns or other documents used to complete the FAFSA and any loan documents.
- The student should be prepared to pay any upfront educational costs such as tuition deposits or books and supplies as financial aid funds are generally not available until the semester begins.
FINANCIAL AID OFFICE CONTACT INFORMATION
Student Services Office
91-1001 Farrington Highway
Kapolei, HI 96707
Phone: (808) 689-2900
Fax: (808) 689-2901
Toll free: 1-866-299-8656