Yellow Ribbon Program
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs to fund tuition expenses that exceed the public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match the same amount as the institution. Schools participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program are required to offer participation to students on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon.asp.
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Certificate of Eligibility showing Yellow Ribbon Program eligibility.
- Classified as a non-resident student paying the non-resident tuition rate.
Note: Effective August 1, 2011, the Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay all public school in-state tuition and fees.
- Admitted to a degree program for the semester in which benefits are being requested with UH West O‘ahu as your home institution.
Note: Active duty personnel receiving Chapter 33 benefits and spouses of active duty personnel receiving Transfer of Entitlement (ToE) benefits are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
For the 2015-2016 academic year, UH West O‘ahu will offer Yellow Ribbon Program awards to students who meet the eligibility requirements on a first-come, first-served basis. To apply, students must submit ALL of the following documents as one application packet to be considered:
- Copy of the student’s VA Certificate of Eligibility showing Yellow Ribbon Program eligibility.
- UH West O‘ahu 2015-2016 Yellow Ribbon Program Application.
- UH West O‘ahu Veteran Student Enrollment Certification Form.
Completed application packets will be accepted for the 2015-2016 academic year beginning July 1, 2015. Documents submitted before this date will not be accepted. The application deadline is August 20, 2015 for fall 2015 and January 8, 2016 for spring 2016.
Completed applications may be dropped off in-person (C-141), sent through postal mail, email or fax.
91-1001 Farrington Highway
Kapolei, HI 96707
Subject Line: Yellow Ribbon Program
ATTN: VA Certifying Official
Eligible students who submit their application packet by the deadline will be notified by phone or through their UH email account of their award status. The 2015-2016 Yellow Ribbon Program award is valid from August 1, 2015 to July 31, 2016.