GENERAL SAFETY INFORMATION
Be AWARE: Crime occurs when there is opportunity, so limit the risk.
- Don’t leave your valuables unattended or unsecured.
- Lock your office doors when you step out of your office or leave for the day.
- Avoid risky situations; take notice of your surroundings.
Be ALERT: Stay current on the latest risks and vulnerabilities
- Notice if there are signs of suspicious activity (blocking of doors or exits, pry marks, tampering) or suspicious people hanging around your area.
- Sign up for UH Alert Emergency Notifications at https://www.hawaii.edu/alert/
Be SAFE: Keep at a safe distance if you encounter a potential danger.
- Don’t confront or corner a suspicious person or persons.
- Make note of physical description and actions of the person(s).
- After dark, walk with friends or call Campus Security for an escort 689-2911
REPORT: If you observe a suspicious person or activity, contact Campus Security immediately to report the activity.
- Program into your phone the UH West Oʻahu Campus Security number: 689-2911
- Use one of the Emergency Call Boxes (blue light) located on campus, these connect directly to the security officer.
- If a serious crime is occurring near campus, call the Honolulu Police Department: 911
In the event of an emergency, this page will provide information about the nature of the incident, how to remain safe and when status has returned to normal. Emergency information is also available by phone at (808) 956-0001.
When appropriate, the university will alert faculty, staff and students via email and/or UH Alert. Information will also be provided through campus webpages and local news media.
SIGN UP FOR UH ALERT
UH has a comprehensive system of emergency messaging called UH Alert.
Current capabilities include email, phone and SMS/text messaging for faculty and staff and email for students.
Students, faculty and staff may now sign up online to receive alerts via these channels.