Am I eligible?
You are eligible if:
- You will be an 11th or 12th grader in Fall 2013; and
- You currently attend Nānākuli, Wai‘anae, Ānuenue, Farrington or Waipahu High School
What will I learn?
- Basic music notation skills
- Basic workflow of a recording studio
- Skills helpful for success in college and in life
- Potential career paths in music
How do I apply?
- ENROLL in the Running Start program (Summer Session I 2013 at UHWO) – ask your High School College Counselor to help you;
- Ask a teacher, coach or principal who knows your work to write a Letter of Recommendation for you; ask them to email it by 5/10/13 to email@example.com;
- Write a short paragraph sharing why you want to enroll in Summer Music Works and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5/10/13.
Any more questions? Ask your college counselor. They will help you through the process. Upon receipt of your application, UHWO will register you for the Summer 2013 UHWO course “Introduction to Songwriting”
What’s the schedule?
May 28, 2013 – June 29, 2013
- First 4 weeks: Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00am-12:45pm
- Final week (June 24-29): Monday-Saturday, 9:00am-4:00pm
- Hō’ike on Saturday, June 29 at 4:00pm
Classes will take place on the new UH West O‘ahu Kapolei campus;
Recordings sessions will take place at The Wai‘anae Clubhouse (Boys and Girls Club Hawaii)
How much does it cost?
TUITION IS FREE, but you must be a member of BGCH ($1 annual membership fee)
What do I need to bring?
Bring your own instrument (ukulele, guitar, or anything else) and/or your voice
Can I catch the bus to and from class at UH West O‘ahu?
Yes, the Westbound and Eastbound Bus #40 stops regularly on campus.
Can I still have a part-time summer job during the program?
Yes, but remember you’ll have homework to do outside of class (this is college!), and from June 24-29 you’ll be in class from 9:00 am-4:00 pm.