• UH West O‘ahu Homepage
• UH System Homepage
• West Press
• UH West O‘ahu News
• UH West O‘ahu on Twitter
• UH West O‘ahu on Facebook
• New Campus Site
The West Press Express is a bi-monthly email newsletter of the University of Hawai‘i - West O‘ahu
Career, College & Job Fair, April 23 at LCC
from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Student Volunteers Needed
People seeking employment and/or an education will find opportunities for both at this free annual event that serves as a career and workforce resource for students, businesses, colleges and the community. Approximately 20 employers, including Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO) and Bank of Hawai‘i, will be recruiting for part- and full-time positions.
HECO will also sign up interested applicants for employment testing. Approximately 30 representatives from undergraduate and graduate programs will share information on certificates, associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degrees. For an updated list of participants, visit http://www.lcc.hawaii.edu/jobs/events
Interested in volunteering at the job fair? This is a great opportunity for you to participate in a campus service activity and discover the jobs and skills local employers are looking for. Consider including this activity into your coursework. Volunteers are especially needed in the first and last shifts. To participate, contact Kelly Ching at email@example.com
Marshallese Education Day Event April 25
The Center for Pacific Island Studies, RMI Government, Parents and Children Together (PACT), and Small Islands Network Host the Second Annual Marshallese Education Day, April 25, 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., UH West O‘ahu Campus Courtyard and LCC Theatre
Parents, guardians, students and family members are invited to attend the Second Annual Marshallese Education Day.
· remarks by Lt. Governor Duke Aiona, Superintendent Pat Hamamoto, a representative from the Marshall Islands Government and more;
· the recognition of Marshallese honor roll students
· PACT, U.S. Army, Department of Health and other information booths;
· breakout sessions for parents and students;
· Marshallese music and dances
To register, contact Justin Lani at 524-6455.
Complete Your Spring 2009 End-of-Semester Course Evaluations, Get a Chance to Win Cash!
Students who complete all spring 2009 course evaluations are eligible to win a $50 or $25 cash prize.
How to qualify to win:
1. Log-on to www.hawaii.edu/eCafe with your UH email username and password.
2. Complete your course evaluations from April 20 – May 8. Course evaluations may be completed on campus from May 4-7 in B-106, 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. and D-105, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
3. Submit the eCafe log-in sheet that confirms you “completed” all your course evaluations. If completing the evaluation in person, print the eCafe log-in sheet, write your name and email address on the sheet and turn it in to the box in B-105. If submitting by email, copy and save the eCafe log-in sheet as an attachment and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line, “Course Evaluation Raffle” and your name.
Deadline to submit completed log-in sheets is May 8 at 4 p.m. For more information, email email@example.com
2009 National Survey of Student Engagement
All UH West O‘ahu freshmen and seniors:
Please remember to complete the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). Your feedback is valuable and will tell us how best to improve your curriculum and general campus life. Only 30% of you have filled out the survey so far. Instructions on completing the NSSE online have been sent to you by email. The deadline to fill out the NSSE is June 1. Do your part in helping to improve the curriculum and campus life for all UH West O‘ahu students!
Support the UH West O‘ahu Hawaii Foodbank Drive
Help feed Hawai‘i’s hungry today! Show your support for the Hawaii Foodbank’s 20th Annual Food Drive by dropping off canned goods and cash or check donations. The most needed items are canned meats and tuna, canned meals including spaghetti, chili and corned beef hash, canned soups, vegetables and fruits. Donations are being accepted now through April 17 at the UH West O‘ahu Business Office. For more information, email Jennifer Watanabe at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sharon Cox at email@example.com.
Writing and Learning Center Workshops
Writing a Winning Resume, E-104, 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
This workshop offers techniques for writing a resume for the appropriate audience using persuasive, action-oriented words and following an easy-to-read format. Call 454-4794 or email Emily Nye at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a space. The workshop is sponsored by the UH West O‘ahu Writing and Learning Center.
Fun had by all at West O‘ahu Day!
Click here for our Flickr event photostream!
UHWO's Spring Commencement May 17; Begins at 4 p.m. at Hawai‘i Theatre
UH West O‘ahu’s Spring 2009 Commencement Ceremony takes place at Hawai‘i Theatre May 17 at 4 p.m. Some of the features of this semester's commencement ceremony include:
· Indoor venue with air conditioning
· Increased seating capacity (215 percent more than Leeward Community College Theatre and 40 percent more than Leeward Community College's Tuthill Courtyard);
· Raised theater seating will provide a clear view of the graduates and platform party on stage;
· Full use of the park next to Hawai‘i Theatre for families to greet graduates with lei and take pictures; and
· Light Sunday afternoon traffic and plenty of readily available parking
Career Services Update
UH West O‘ahu Career Services is no longer staffed but students can access handouts on majors, practicums, job or graduate school search, resumes and interviews, and more at the Career Resources website at http://www.uhwo.hawaii.edu/career2.
Student part-time position available
The Manoa Educational Talent Search Program has a part-time position immediately available (19 hours/week) at Nanakuli High School for a UH West O’ahu student whose specialty focuses on youth educational development, grade-to-grade promotion, graduation from high school and post-secondary educational opportunities. The student will assist high school students in completing college admission applications, personal essay statements, and financial aid applications. Email your resume attention to Maile Goo at email@example.com
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS
Friday, April 24 is the last day to apply for spring 2009 financial aid. Submit your 2008-2009 FAFSA now! Financial aid is not available for summer sessions so remember to plan accordingly.
Need financial aid for next year? Log-on to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov to apply. The 2009-2010 Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online. Hard copies are available at the Student Services Office. Call 454-4700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
UH West O‘ahu scholarship applications will be available in May. To view the latest scholarship information online, visit http://www.uhwo.hawaii.edu/scholarship