Benefits and Requirements
Benefits of Service-Learning at UHWO
- Learn more about the community in which you may work someday.
- Use your knowledge and skills to help build stronger communities.
- Transfer the skills and knowledge you’ve gained to community leaders to foster sustainability.
- Explore career options and get experience to use on your resume.
- Work and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and of many ages.
- Develop skills in conducting basic research, critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Earn Education Awards from Americorps: Students in Service for future educational costs. Credits are as follows:
- 300 hours/year = 4 hours/week = $1,132*
- 450 hours/year = 6 hours/week = $1,415*
- 900 hours/2 years = 6 hours/week = $2,675*
Get details and apply at http://www.studentsinservice.org
Requirements of Service-Learning at UHWO
- Complete mandatory forms provided to you by your faculty member and get all signatures before you start your service project.
- Keep a time sheet to record the time you spend and get it signed by your site supervisor.
- Complete a well organized, properly typed five-page reflection paper which will be graded as part of the class.
- Fulfill any other requirements specific to your project (e.g., oral report to site supervisor).