For students concentrating in Sociology, 39 credits are required, including:
1. SSCI 486 Senior Project
2. SSCI 300 Philosophy of the Social Sciences
3. SSCI 301 Methods and Techniques in Social Science Research
4. SSCI 310 Applied Statistics I
5. SOC 470 Sociological Theory
6. Additional courses in the discipline will be recommended for inclusion in the student’s educational plan based on specific competency goals established by the student.
SOC 311 Social Stratification
SOC 313 Sociology of Work
SOC 324 Race and Ethnic Relations
SOC 329 Organizations, Individuals and Society
SOC 334 Deviant Behavior
SOC 341 Social Behavior
SOC 352 Sociology of Education
SOC 362 Gender, Culture, and Society
SOC 401 Urban Sociology
SOC 411 Aging in Mass Society
SOC 412 Death, Dying, and Bereavement
SOC 418 Women and Work
SOC 423 Social and Cultural Change
SOC 431 Juvenile Delinquency
SOC 434 Criminology
SOC 450 Small Groups
SOC 451 Analysis of Marriage and the Family
SOC 456 Peoples of Hawai‘i
SOC 496 Selected Topics in Sociology (v)
SOC 499 Directed Reading and Research (v)
7. Complementary Area: Nine credits in one additional Social Sciences Concentration.
Graduates with a Concentration in Sociology from UH West O‘ahu should be able to:
· Utilize the basic principles of sociology to analyze specific social problems.
· Utilize sociological theories and methods to analyze specific social problems.