Applying for Financial Aid
- Applicants must be accepted or enrolled as a Classified Students, pursuing a Bachelor’s degree. Award commitments will not be made until the University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu (UHWO) receives ALL official academic transcripts, and the applicant is accepted in an aid eligible program for admission.
- Applicants must maintain satisfactory academic progress as stipulated in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
PRIORITY DEADLINE for completing the FAFSA is:
- April 1st for aid to begin the Fall semester.
- October 1st for aid to begin the Spring semester
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application is available online at http://www.fafsa.gov or at the Student Services Office.
- The Federal School Code for the University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu is 014315.
- Apply for a PIN, if necessary, at www.pin.ed.gov.
- Complete the FAFSA form as directed.
- Retain a copy of the FAFSA and any worksheets used in completing the application for future reference.
- After filing your FAFSA, the federal government will mail you a paper Student Aid Report (SAR) or send you an e-mail notifying you that your SAR is available for your review on the FAFSA website. Please review your SAR for accuracy, being careful to correct anything that may have been misreported. If corrections are necessary, it is best to do them online. Call the U.S. Department of Education at (800) 433-3243 if you do not receive a SAR notification or have questions regarding your SAR.
UHWO may also request additional information if...
- Your application may be selected for a process called verification. Please check your Student Aid Report to see if you have been selected for verification. If selected, you must submit the appropriate Federal Verification Worksheet, signed copies of the appropriate Federal Tax Return(s), and other forms as required by our office. If a tax return isn’t available you may request copies of a tax transcript or tax return by calling 1-800-829-1040 (follow the prompts in the recorded message) or by mail by completing and mailing Form 4506T for tax transcripts or Form 4506 for tax returns. You may obtain these forms at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf.
- For students who are/were active military or a military dependent (spouse or child), you must complete and submit a Military Information Form.
- Interested in a Student Loan? Please complete and submit a Loan Request Form.
UHWO will notify you of other documents needed to complete your financial aid process.
- Check your financial aid status at: http://myuhportal.hawaii.edu. Regularly check your hawaii.edu email account for important information and announcements.
- Read all documents carefully
- Be aware of deadlines.
- Keep copies of all completed forms for your records.
- Plan ahead for your current and entire college career. Track your student loan history at www.nslds.ed.gov
- Research the type of aid you seek and/or receive. This will help you avoid surprises.
- Be Prepared to pay for your books and supplies, Financial aid refunds may not be readily available at the start of the semester. Please note that financial aid refund checks can take up to 14 days to be processed and mailed to your current mailing address on file. Sign up for “eRefunds” through MyUH to have your refund directly deposited into your personal bank account. You may view and update your current mailing address on your MyUH Portal.
If you have any further questions regarding financial aid at the University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu please contact:
University of Hawaiʻi – West Oʻahu
Student Services Office
91-1001 Farrington Highway
Kapolei, HI 96707
(808) 689-2900 or 1-866-299-8656