The University of Hawaiʻi — West Oʻahu (UHWO) recognizes coursework completed outside of the institution that are equivalent to the academic content of the University. In determining equivalencies and transferability, each course is carefully reviewed based on the scope of topics covered, rigor, contact hours, etc. Previously earned credits are automatically evaluated upon acceptance to a degree-seeking program at UHWO and receipt of the student’s Statement of Intent to Register form/tuition deposit, which confirms their intent to enroll for classes. If applicable, concurrently enrolled coursework will be reviewed upon completion of the class(es). Once credits are officially transferred in, they become part of the student’s permanent academic record at the University of Hawaiʻi — West Oʻahu.
What will be considered?
- Courses completed at regionally accredited colleges and universities. Accreditation must have been active at the time the course was completed.
- Courses completed with a minimum grade of “D” (not “D-”)
- Courses completed with a grade of “CR” (credit), “P” (passing) or “CE” (credit by exam) may be transferable if these grades are equivalent to a grade of “D” or better as noted on the institution’s transcript or catalog. No more than 21 lower division and 21 upper division credits of “CR”, “P” and “CE” courses can be applied towards meeting degree requirements.
- There is no expiration date for transfer credits.
- Coursework completed on a quarter system will be converted to semester hours (conversion table)
- Credit will only be awarded for college-level coursework. Remedial or developmental courses (i.e., in the UH system, courses numbered below 100) will not be considered.
- Repeated courses that cover the same material/content of a previously completed course, will not be awarded additional credit for degree certification purposes; credit will be awarded only once. The second course, however, will be calculated into the student’s UHWO cumulative grade point average.
- Correspondence, occupational, vocational and technical courses may be considered although they may not be applicable to the student’s chosen program of study.
- Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, The College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and U.S. military training - will be reviewed for transfer credit and/or meeting course prerequisites for registration purposes.
UH West Oʻahu School Codes Advanced Placement (AP) Exams 1042 CLEP Exams 4959
- Credit for Prior Learning – Degree-seeking students who believe they have acquired the equivalent of a course through experience or training may petition the University for the granting of appropriate credit. Transcripts and other supporting documents are the responsibility of the student. These will be reviewed by the Student Services Office and/or by a faculty committee who will make the credit recommendation.
- Students who are requesting an evaluation based on standardized exam results or military course work must do so within their first semester of enrollment at UHWO.
- Students requesting credit by examination (Challenge Exams) must do so within their first year of enrollment.
- Credits earned by the equivalency methods (e.g., AP Exams, CLEP, military training, and credit for prior learning) may not be used to satisfy the college residency requirements for graduation.
How are they applied?
- All eligible credits will be transferred in, however, not all may satisfy the University’s general education and/or program requirements; students may be required to complete additional courses. General education requirements may also be fulfilled if the student has already received a Bachelor of Arts or Associate in Arts degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Course, credits and grades will be transferred in affecting the student’s overall GPA. This includes repeated courses and non-passing grades. This overall GPA is used to determine a student’s academic standing (probation, suspension and dismissal) at the end of each semester and graduation eligibility.
- To view a listing of courses that have previously been evaluated by UH West Oʻahu, visit the UH System Course Transfer Database at http://www.hawaii.edu/transferdatabase/
Subject to change without prior notice.
What do I need to do?
- Upon acceptance to UHWO in a degree-seeking program, credits earned at previously attended institutions are automatically evaluated for transfer credit once the Statement of Intent to register/tuition deposit has been received. Official transcripts are not an admission requirement for non-degree-seeking students and, therefore, will not be reviewed for transfer credit.
- All official transcripts must be mailed directly from the originating institution to the address below:
Office of Admissions
University of Hawaiʻi – West Oʻahu
91-1001 Farrington Highway
Kapolei, HI 96707
Hand-carried transcripts and those stamped “Issued to Student” will not be accepted.
- Courses completed within the University of Hawaiʻi system will be accessed via the shared student information system and, therefore, need not be requested by the student.
- Students who simultaneously enroll at another institution while attending UHWO are required to send in their official transcript upon completion of their coursework. Once received, the transcript will automatically be reviewed for transfer credit.
STUDENTS SIMULTANEOUSLY ATTENDING ANOTHER UH SYSTEM CAMPUS do not need to request an official transcript. Coursework completed at another UH system campus will automatically be transferred in via the shared student information system.
- If a grade change occurs at an originating institution (this includes UH system colleges and universities), it is the student’s responsibility to notify UH West Oʻahu to request a reevaluation of the course. If the class was taken at an institution outside of the UH system, the student must also request that an updated official transcript be sent by the originating institution.
- Students who serve(d) in the Armed Forces can request their military transcripts using the links below:
- Once the evaluation process is complete, students will be notified via their MyUH Portal. Credits and courses will then be available online by logging into their “STAR” student account, https://www.star.hawaii.edu:10012/studentinterface/login.jsp. Any discrepancies should be reported to the Transcript Evaluator within 10 calendar days of receiving their notification.
|Students||Available on STAR|
|Entering UHWO in the spring||April|
|Entering UHWO in the fall||November|
|Simultaneously enrolled at another UH system campus||End of the following semester|
|Simultaneously enrolled at an institution outside of the UH system||Dependent on when official transcript is received|
For questions regarding transcript evaluations, please contact the Office of Admissions at (808) 689-2900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.