University of Hawaiʻi — West Oʻahu

Transfer Credit Policy & Information

The University of Hawai‘i — West O‘ahu (UHWO) recognizes undergraduate coursework completed at regionally accredited colleges and universities that are equivalent to the academic content of the University. In determining equivalencies and transferability, each course is carefully reviewed based on the scope of topics covered, rigor, contact hours, etc. Previously earned credits are automatically evaluated upon acceptance to a degree-seeking program at UHWO and receipt of the student’s Statement of Intent to Register form/tuition deposit, which confirms their intent to enroll for classes.

Transfer students can view their credits of previously completed classes online via STAR after activating their MyUH account. Transfer credits applied towards your UHWO degree can be viewed beginning in November for new fall students and April for spring students. 


  • Courses completed with a minimum grade of “D” (not “D-”)
  • Courses completed with a grade of “CR” (credit), “P” (passing) or “CE” (credit by exam) may be transferable if these grades are equivalent to a grade of “D” or better as noted on the institution’s transcript or catalog. No more than 21 lower division and 21 upper division credits of “CR”, “P” and “CE” courses can be applied towards meeting degree requirements.
  • Correspondence, occupational, vocational and technical courses may be considered although they may not be applicable to the student’s chosen program of study.
  • Students who are requesting an evaluation based on standardized exam results or military course work must do so within their first semester of enrollment at UHWO.
  • Students requesting credit by examination (Challenge Exams) must do so within their first year of enrollment.


Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations will be considered for transfer credit and/or meeting course prerequisites for registration purposes. The UH West O‘ahu School Code is 1042.

View the AP Exam Breakdown

Interstate Passport

UH West O‘ahu participates in the Interstate Passport, a program sponsored by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education. The Interstate Passport is a program that facilitates the transfer of student learning between participating institutions. As a participating member, UH West O‘ahu will recognize the passport credential awarded to students from one of these institutions. Please visit the WICHE website for more information.


The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) will be considered for transfer credit and/or meeting course prerequisites for registration purposes. The UH West O‘ahu School Code is 4959.

View the CLEP Exam Breakdown


Coursework taken through military schools will be considered for transfer credit and/or meeting course prerequisites for registration purposes.


  • Courses completed from unaccredited institutions are not transferable.
  • Remedial or developmental courses (i.e., in the UH system, courses numbered below 100) will not be considered.
  • Repeated courses that cover the same material/content of a previously completed course will not be awarded additional credit for degree certification purposes; credit will be awarded only once.
  • Credits earned by the equivalency methods (e.g., AP Exams, CLEP, military training, and credit for prior learning) may not be used to satisfy the college residency requirements for graduation.


To view a listing of courses that have previously been evaluated by UH West O‘ahu, visit the UH System Course Transfer Database.


  • All official transcripts must be mailed directly from the originating institution to the address below:

    Office of Admissions
    University of Hawai‘i – West O‘ahu
    91-1001 Farrington Highway
    Kapolei, HI 96707
  • Hand-carried transcripts, faxed copies and those stamped “Issued to Student” will not be accepted.
  • Courses completed within the University of Hawai‘i system will be accessed via the shared student information system and, therefore, need not be requested by the student.
  • Students who simultaneously enroll at another institution while attending UHWO are required to send in their official transcript upon completion of their coursework. Once received, the transcript will automatically be reviewed for transfer credit.
  • Students who serve(d) in the Armed Forces can request their military transcripts using the links below:

Once the evaluation process is complete, students will be notified via their MyUH account. Credits and courses will then be available online by logging into their STAR student account. Any discrepancies should be reported to the Office of the Registrar within 30 days of this email; discrepancies reported after 30 days may not be considered for review.

Students Available on STAR
Entering UHWO in the spring April
Entering UHWO in the fall November
Simultaneously enrolled at another UH system campus Within 4 weeks after the semester ends
Simultaneously enrolled at an institution outside of the UH system Dependent on when official transcript is received

For questions regarding transfer credit evaluations, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (808) 689-2900, or

For detailed information regarding transfer credit evaluations, please refer to the General Catalog.

Subject to change without prior notice.