Welcome to the University of Hawai’i – West O’ahu Cyber Security Coordination Center
The purpose of the UHWO Cyber Security Coordination Center (CSCC) is to provide students with an opportunity to work in a cyber operations center and coordinate cyber defense information with local and regional partners. This center provides students with experience and education as network defense subject matter experts in order to prepare them for future employment in industry or the DoD. This center also supports information security needs in the community and region by acting as a resource to learn about modern cyber conflicts, emerging threats, and the latest development in information security.
- Congratulations to the UHWO-HATS team for winning 1st place in the National Cyber League Competition gold bracket and ranking 2nd nationally.
- Congratulations to the UHWO-Pueo team for placing 12th in the silver bracket and 25th nationally.
- October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- "October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month which is an annual campaign to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity." (Department of Homeland Security)
- Check out these sites for themes and online safety tips and checkout our Events page for local cybersecurity events.
- UHWOʻs HATS team competes in Hawaiʻi Annual Code Challenge
- Hawaii state Land Use Commission has an easier-to-use website, thanks to work by a team consisting of primarily UH West Oʻahu cybersecurity and computer networking students competing in the 2017 Hawaiʻi Annual Code Challenge. Read more in the E Kamakani Hou article.
Two UH West Oʻahu teams find success at the National Cyber League competition
Out of 149 teams competing across the nation, UHWO teams finished third and 11th overall in the 2017 National Cyber League Spring Season competition. Read more in the E Kamakani Hou article.
- UHWO Information Security and Assurance instructor Michael Miranda writes about the importance of security updates in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Software updates are vital, as global cyberattack proves
- ThinkTech Hawaii is trying to raise public awareness of Cybersecurity and has interviewed Dr. Matthew Chapman[View video here].
- Go Kapolei Magazine Highlight UH West Oahu Cybersecurity Programs, Spring 2017 [Go Kapolei Article p. 52].
- National Champions! UH West Oʻahu Team wins National Cyber League National Championship in overall and gold brackets [Read More].
- UH West Oʻahu Chancellor, Maenette Benham, praised the "extraordinary endeavors" of the UHWO cybersecurity program in her monthly message, Ka ʻUmeke Nōweo.
- Hawaii Business has published an article regarding Cybersecurity in Hawaii, the Cyber Security Coordination Center and UH West Oahu are highlighted in the article. [Read More]
- UHWO Information Security and Assurance instructor Michael Miranda has written a series of articles about cybersecurity in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s Tech View section in recent weeks. [Cybersecurity headlined tech news in 2016][Government playing a role in adoption of cybersecurity].
- The Asia-Pacific Technology and Education Partnership (APTEP) has published an article featuring UH West Oahu and the Cyber Workforce Development and Cyber Security Coordinating Center (CSCC) Sustainment project.[Read more].
- UHWO Shows Excellence in Cybersecurity Education; West Oahu Voice, Midweek Publications, June 22nd, 2016 [Read more].
- NSA and Department of Homeland Security designate UH West O'ahu as center of academic excellence; May, 2016 [Read more].
- Honolulu Community College and UH West Oʻahu Cyber Team Place Second in 2016 National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition [Article on Hawaii News Now][UH News Release].
- Dr. Matthew A. Chapman publishes article, "Facilitating Regional Cybersecurity Workforce Development" in the April, 2016 issue of the International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology.
- UH West Oʻahu Information Security and Assurance degree highlighted in the April 2016 issue of Signal: AFCEA's International Journal, "Military, Government Focus on Statewide Cyber Education," [Read more].
- UH West Oʻahu Information Security and Assurance senior Justin Lane featured on radio commercials on [listen] [Read more]:
- iHeartMedia (Island 98.5, Star 101.9, Evolution 99.1, 93.9 Jamz)
- Summit Media (Power 104.3, KCCN FM 100, Krater 96.3, Hawaiian KINE)
- Ohana Broadast Co. (102.7 Da Bomb, 93.1 Paina, Alt 105.9)
- UH West Oʻahu Information Security and Assurance faculty participate in AFCEA conference: Faculty from UH West Oʻahu’s bachelor of applied science in information security and assurance program led a panel discussion concerning planning for malicious cyber activity at the 30th Annual TechNet Asia-Pacific conference. [Read more]
- A Strategic Perspective to Planning for Cyber Attacks; UH West Oʻahu Assistant Professor of Information Technology and Security Dr. Matthew Chapman recently published “Planning for Malicious Activity on Communication Networks,” in the September 2015 issue of the International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology about planning for the eventual reality of cyber attacks. [Read more]
- Assessing Cyber and Physical Risks to Manufacturers 2018-01-16
- Preparing for NIS - Europe's First Dedicated Cybersecurity Law 2018-01-16
- Kaspersky Discovers Powerful Mobile Spyware 2018-01-16
- BlackBerry Launches Security Product for Automotive, Other Industries 2018-01-16
- Incident Readiness and Response, an Evolution in Cyber Risk Mitigation 2018-01-16